Thursday, December 08, 2005

never and always

this post is dedicated to one thing i always knew would happen and something i never thought possible.

i lost my ID yesterday. and its gone. i don't know where or how or why . . . but its not coming back. aside from the atrocity of paying $20 to replace it (wasn't $50,000 in tuition enough?), i'm really not that upset. because i've always known this would happen. frankly, i'm shocked that its taken this long. i've dragged that ID to at least a dozen states and all over NYC, in addition to the daily commute it takes in my pocket/purse/anywhere i can think to put it. and i'm notorious for misplacing important items. so its not a surprise to me that it's gone. ID, i'll miss you. i wish you didn't cost $20. but i'm proud of how long we kept this relationship alive.

now that the inevitable's happened, i'm curious when all the other "i always knew that would happen to me at grove city" moments will occur. pretty soon . . .
- i'll drop an entire tray of food in the cafeteria
- i'll fall down on the sidewalk after chapel in front of a thousand strangers
- without thinking, i'll say something horribly inappropriate to a group of important alumni
- i'll find the courage to do something rebellious . . . and get caught


and here's the "never ever ever thought i would be writing this" section:

my brother is in love. and on vacation.

to be honest, i'm more shocked at the latter statement. early this fall, sean met the girl of his dreams, the lovely miss jen pitkering. she is sweet and beautiful and spunky and supportive and so many things that sean needs. and it has been one of my greatest joys (and if i'm honest, most challening journeys) to see him finally have another woman come first in his life. i'm not sean's first priority anymore. and if my instincts are correct, i'll never be coming first again.

and that's really okay. i love her and more importantly, i love sean and want him to experience the companionship and wonder and beauty that comes from a godly marriage. i just never really thought it would happen. and i never thought it would happen to him before it happened to me.


last summer, my parents offered sean and i a dream european vacation. we would leave during spring break of this year and spend the 10 days in italy and spain. i said YES. sean said he would be able to take off work on a saturday and sunday and maybe easter monday. needless to say, my parents didn't think the trip would be worth it if we could only go for 3 days.

but he's in florida now with jen. and if that's not love, i don't know what is.




it's difficult for us last-borns to deal with our siblings getting things earlier than we do. its hard for a sister to realize a brother is getting older and moving on. its heartbreaking for monica to accept that she's losing one of her best friends.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Florida...hm...I know a couple of dreamy eyed kids who took a vacation there. And now they're getting married. As they say, FLORIDA IS FOR LOVAHS. (Or is the Virginia? I think it might be.)

In any case, Florida = romantic. Nice job to Ammirati, the elder.

7:38 AM  
Blogger -K- said...

1. Sorry about ID.

2. I'm really excited to say that I was always waiting for the day when I'd drop my tray and spill food everywhere, and it NEVER happened! So there's hope!

3. Brother will still always love you and be there. You two are cute. Because of your amazing/rare/special relationship with him I can so totally understand thinking that all boys' actions are deliberate and meant to hurt or help. Now, if you had my brother...you'd understand that boys are just different, and the phrase "boys will be boys" most definitely applies to him. Sean is different and he will still be the big brother he has been!

4. Also, I think I know the cause of your "exuberance" in the previous post is. wink wink.

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home