Monday, October 31, 2005

she's got a way

birthdays are fantastic. here are a few reasons why:
1. parties. i've had two for my 21st. one was on saturday and it was delightful and perfect and everything i wanted. my friends had to work so hard to even make it happen (thanks to victor lee, old map, south rec, and commuter lounge for failing to come through for us. we've officially begun a boycott victor. and that's says an awful lot for me). it was in the SAC. there was no alcohol. (with the exception of the empty box with some sort of alcoholic picture on the front. thanks andy.) abbie and megan and kayla got me a "sex in the grove city survival kit" and it was full of DELIGHTS, particularly a handmade journal that makes me cry every time i open it. becky and jen and abs got me a cake (in addition to living with me for the week prior to my birthday; no easy feat considering my intense pre-birthday depression that lasted for days) - the cake was so needed and so wonderful. they also adopted me. cheers for that. lots of friends were there and we hung out and played games and ate pizza. wonderful juvenile fun. i love it.

over fall break i had a party in NYC. the momentous moment consisting of monica's first drink of life. good times were had by all (thanks to chels, jz, pat, trey, sean, jen, kelly, b, and pat's random friend for attending) and especially by me.

two parties = one girl feeling so special and loved. my friends consistently amaze me with their patience and love.

2. candy. i don't even like candy that much, but it feels special that lots of candy is given away for my birthday. i used to believe - and this is the sincere truth - that halloween was celebrated for me. i would expect all the students in my class to give a big THANK YOU to me for being born on this day. needless to say, it never came and the delusion ended quickly.

3. cake. my mom finally made me one. so that, in addition to the cake that i was shocked to be presented with at rehearsal tonight (mrs. craig, you forget a lot of things so i'm always shocked when you remember my day. i was so happy that you did) + cake at my first bday party + cake from the girls . . . 4 CAKES!!! i love it! i only wish katie was here to eat all the icing.

4. lots and lots of birthday mail. i think because i had the good sense to be born on a holiday (and i do take credit. i waited in the womb an extra 2 weeks before i made my early morning arrival. had i decided to stay in just one more day, there were coming in after me. excellent timing if i do say so myself) that people can remember my birthday. this may be just something i think in my head beacuse i'm so horrible at remembering birthdays for everyone else so i assume there must be a reason people can remember mine. regardless, thanks to the millions of friends and family who sent cards. i love you all.

5. random serenading. i think this should be a more frequent part of life, but alas, people seem to wait for birthdays to burst out into song. i was awoken this AM by my roommate dancing around in her bathrobe to the smash hit "happy birthday to you" by new kids on the block. one of my favorite moments of life, by far.

i'm sure there are a million more reasons i could list, but i'm exhausted. all this birthday fun wore me out. thanks a gazillion to all my friends for making it so special. i'm a lucky girl.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

monica, as always i love your posts. this is a favorite of mine so far though, i think. you are a wonderful lovely girl and i'm glad you had a billion parties :-) you deserve it. much love dear!

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Mon!

I still don't have your address, though, so I can't send the appropriate cardage/presentage.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home