Tuesday, October 11, 2005

salute to proof

caution: i would venture that only approximately 10 people (at most) will enjoy reading this post. and out of those 10, i'm lucky if 2 people actually read my blog. (katie you are my definite) but its been in my mind so often lately (with the movie coming out and all) and i just can't keep it bottled inside and not on my blog.

I loved proof. i loved every single thing about it. i loved the show before i was in it or even knew gcc was doing it. i loved it even more when it was finished. i look back on it as the second best "thing" that's ever happened to me at college. (i specify "thing" because nothing can replace any person i met in college or the way i grew spiritually and all that. i am merely referring to an event.)

for me, my positive college experience really started during that show. it gave me confidence in who i was and what i could do. i loved each person connected to that show, cast and directors and crew and all that. i felt encouraged by each one of them. to me, it was what good theatre is about: a group of people who work together in such unity to achieve something that is so much greater than any individual contribution.

i love the story of proof. i love that it reflects so much of my spiritual walk. always asking, always questioning, always hesitating . . . then learning to have faith in the answers or the silences He gives me.

i know that it was a crazy show choice for mrs. craig, with only 4 cast members and all. i know some people didn't really prefer it, for that reason or others. but i can honestly say that if that show hadn't happened to me, i don't know that i would have stayed at grove city. it was that much of a turning point in my life. i needed it that desperately.

so thank you proof. thank you jojoba. thank you EXPRESS and my mother (for the fabulous outfits). thank you katie and mike and chris. thank you kellie and phil and lindsay and everyone else who was part of it. on saturday night's final show, with 8 performances behind us, i remember taking my bow and thinking, "this will never happen again. being part of something this incredible will only happen once."

and i was right.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow ... you're just an updating fiend, huh?

5:21 PM  
Blogger -K- said...

being the definate, I will comment...

in fact, I will probably be inspired to post about it as well, even if it means opening up all the insecurities that went along with it to commemorate the experience and the life-altering relationships made (and mourn my failure at forcing my sister and my lover to engage in their obvious chemistry).


p.s. I heard mitch misses your body.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Trey said...

As a crew member for Proof, I can say that we did, indeed support you. You were absolutely fantastic. It solidified you as reigning queen of the theatre department (not drama queen). Every time I've gone by a Bath&BodyWorks or seen some herbal remedy store, your voice pops into my head saying 'jojoba,' and I smile.

Since that show, I've always wanted to do theatre with you, whether acting with you or being directed by you. If I ever made a mistake, I made two: not doing more sooner, and being the subject of torment that was inflicted on you for casting me.

10:36 PM  
Blogger lvs said...

I guess I already spilled my thoughts on Katie's blog, but just for the record: ditto.

WAY DITTO.

WAY WAY DITTO.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mon, did you tell Mrs. Craig I was already back in Idaho? 'Cause I'm not. Get in touch with me re: this Sunday, mmkay?

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home