Wednesday, December 14, 2005

my grown-up christmas list

on monday, december 12, 2005, i realized (at least partly) what it means to be a grown-up.

my mom called at 8 AM, leaving a message that told me not to panic, but that my dad had been rushed to the emergency room at Akron General. i instantly called sean, and we decided that i should drive home immediately to be with my dad, and sean would drive up later that evening.

that drive home was the longest of my life. i spent a lot of time praying . . . crying . . . singing . . . and i thought a lot about my dad. he's the strongest man i've ever met. my dad has given me what the world likes to call "unrealistic expectations" of what a man in my life will do. he takes me on dates. he opens my car door. he writes me various emails of encouragment. but more impressive than what he does for me, the love he has for my mother is absolutely overwhelming. they got married at the ripe age of 19&20, and he loves her more today than he did 27 years ago. he showers her with affection and time and support and care.

arriving at the hospital and seeing my daddy, the source of absolute strengthfor our family, lying weakly in a bed with tubes coming out of his arms and chest . . . well, it made quite an impression on me. in an instant, i realized that this was the start of a new chapter in our life as a family. sean and i would begin to take care of our parents, instead of the other way around. we would begin providing for them and spoiling them and making their lives more beautiful and supported.

with the help of medication and IV's, my dad's heart rate has been stabilized. hopefully, in a few more days we will have an answer to this problem. Praise the Lord. but the impact of the last 72 hours will never leave me.

"Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war; love is a growing up."

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

i just wanted to tell you that i am so proud of you for how you are such an incredible source for strength and encouragement to your family. crap like this makes you realize exactly what the most important relationships are in life. we'll just keep on praying for your daddy - and everything will be fine :-) love you dear.

12:42 AM  
Blogger -K- said...

exactly everything that jen said.

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home