Friday, December 30, 2005

finding neverland

here's a varied assortment of the future occupations i've considered during my lifetime:

doctor - that lasted only a week. my mother, in her wisdom, gave me a "picture book" to color that detailed all the bones and intestines and tissues and organs . . . that was enough to turn me off.
flight attendant - don't laugh; its true. i always thought it would be fun to travel the world, while never paying the outrageous airfare.
high school english teacher - in high school, i was so sure i would turn out exactly like our english teacher that it seemed a logical choice. but i dropped that major about 5 seconds after arriving at GCC. sorry miss claypool. i just couldn't cut it.
soccer mom - if you're shocked, don't be. i love soccer and i'm actually a big fan of kids, so it makes a bit of sense. i abandoned this dream sophomore year of college. but whenever i see a minivan with that soccer ball pasted on the back window, i'm reminded of the days when i thought this was all i would ever want.
author - there are two books i've considered writing during my lifetime. the first i began when i was maybe 10 or 11, tentatively titled "lily of the field." it was named both for my favorite flower and the main character, a civil war nurse torn between the southern life she's always known and the yankee soldier she falls hopelessly in love with. the second book, "single for a season," began during college when i started to realize that God may have given me the gift of singleness. it was going to be a study on the advantages of staying single for a specific season in your life. as you may have all guessed, i've never finished either book. but maybe someday . . .
broadway director - i guess this dream is still looming large. i don't know if i could make the cut, but it sure would be fun to try.


what do you want to be when you "grow up"? there's a statistic that claims very few college graduates actually pursue a profession that fits their degree . . . and i think its a true one. we can be anything we want to be. and while we might have all sorts of ideas and fantasies now about what our lives will be like 10 years from now, it's been my experience that no one can imagine what reality will actually paint in the future.

as for me, there are 2 people in the world that know what profession i'd like to have most of all.

God and Mr. Allan Edwards.

And I trust that neither one of them will ever tell. (I know far too many of Allan's deepest secrets for him to ever share. As for God, He's just a trust-worthy guy.) I don't really know why I don't share with more people what it is I'd love to do. I guess because you tell people one dream for so long . . . it seems like it would take quite a bit of work to go and explain something else.

[note: blogging over break is rough. i get a lot of ideas but i'm not around a computer enough to write any of them down. i would give up, but i love katie too much. i know how she looks forward to updates. hope you're having a happy holiday miss r!]

3 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

Monica the broadway director... I can see it now. :)

6:27 PM  
Blogger Rainey said...

I can too. As for the soccer mom dream, I think we've switched dreams. I used to want to be an actress... then I realized that was a silly dream and now after graduating I just want to get married and be a mom. You took my dream!!! :-P

9:38 AM  
Blogger laura said...

mon, i totally know how you feel. i feel like i've spent the entire break trying to come up with an acceptable answer to the question, "what are you going to do after graduation?" and i think half of why we don't want to tell people our dreams is to avoid looking like failures if we decide to do something else. so from now on, i'm just going to tell everyone that my life goal is to drive the batmobile.

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home