Tuesday, January 17, 2006

the luckiest

tonight, my parents came home from bible study (and by "came home," i simply mean they walked the four feet from the condo attached to ours, which is conveniently where their bible study leaders live) and told me a sad story. a truly a sad story. but to me, its also very romantic and beautiful and overwhelming. so i'm going to share.

a woman in their bible study, whose mother just passed away, shared a prayer request. her father, who is aching horribly for his deceased wife, is refusing to take his medication. the medication he takes is what has been keeping him alive for the past several years. now that the love of his life (and i mean that quite literally) is gone, he has no interest in taking it. she cried and tried to reason with him, begging him to keep going for her sake. but he told her simply, "but my life is already over. it ended a few days ago when your mother died."

now i'm not interested in beginning the whole euthanasia debate via my blog. all i'm saying is, wow. take a minute and let it sink in. that's a lot of love. that's two people who absolutely became one. and in a world where statistically, marriage doesn't even have a 50% chance of survival, a story like that really impacts me.

it reminds me of a song that katie loves:
next door, there's an old man who lived to his nineties
and one day, passed away in his sleep.
and his wife she stayed for a couple of days then passed away . . .

it's a beautiful song. and i'm certainly praying for mrs. love (that's her name . . . ironic, right?) and her family, that God's will might be, they can accept it. i guess the story just really touched my heart and i wanted to share.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

great, you made me cry twice in one day. :-) that is beautiful

11:05 AM  
Blogger -K- said...

mon. love that. so sad. exactly just like the song. did I ever tell you another reason why I love that song so much? the same thing happened to my grandparents. they grew up across the street from each other and when my grandma died, my grandpa changed drastically and he died a year later from...nothing. they just found him. they said his heart must have failed, but I knew we all knew it was from a broken heart.

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a letter to send you. I need your address, though. Send it to my email address (on my blog profile).

Thank you for your time.

-Garrett

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home