Friday, June 30, 2006

break down here

i am a nanny*.

*the kids i "nanny" can't decide what name i should be called. i'm not really a baby-sitter (they are 13 and 15 and don't need any direct supervision). i'm kind of a "companion" but that name sounds funny and i am responsible to see that they eat properly and do their chores.

but really, this has to be the most laid-back job i will ever have.

i arrive at their house anytime between 10 and 10:30 AM (they are flexible). they watch cartoons and i sit and have my quiet time. then i have time to write letters or get caught up on reading, etc. then i "make" them lunch - usually heating up something that their mom has already prepared.

then we drive somewhere . . the pool or the library or something else fun (i just started, but i'm guessing we'll go see movies and out to lunch, etc.) mom comes home around 5:15 and she pays me and i leave.

it's a good life.

and though it's laid back and easy and pays well - i am not totally satisfied. and that makes me happy. i'm still applying for jobs at a somewhat obsessive rate. as it gets closer and closer to august, i'm more and more possessed. i need a job. but more importantly, i really want a job. i want to get up in the morning and be excited about what i am going to do that day. i'm ready to return to the city that never sleeps (or DC - that's my current other option) and do a lot of walking and watching and learning. i miss new york. i miss the crazy pace that wears you out to the point of exhaustion, then you get up and do it all over again.

so this summer has been good. in unexpected ways really. this time of relaxtion has cemented for me that i need to find a job that i'll be passionate about. and i'm ready to find it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so I'm late on the commenting, but I totally back Neil up.

DC! DC! DC!

8:19 PM  
Blogger slb said...

wow, Monica, your nannying job is SO different than mine was (yes, it's now over and I am SO thrilled) that I am jealous! I vowed I would never ever ever nanny anyone again ever--yes, I was very firm--but after reading this blog entry I wonder if there might not be less stressful and exhaustion inducing jobs. Good luck with your job hunting as it proceeds!

4:49 PM  
Blogger Amy M said...

dear monica ~ i would like to second neil's motion about missing you & joel. i would like to second (or third, in this case) neil and rachel's vote for DC.

So the vote is DC = 3. NY = 1(?). The winner is clear :-)

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home